Sunday, September 14, 2008

Featured Seller: Ellembee


Our Featured seller for this week is Ellembee! She makes amazing shirts for young and old by using screen printing! I haven't purchased one of her shirts yet, but I plan on doing so in the very near feature, because I keep looking at the Entanglement long sleeve tee above! I hope you enjoy reading her interview and check out her shop! Thanks, Lisa for doing this interview!
You can visit her by clicking on the etsy-mini on the left or by going to
http://www.ellembee.etsy.com


How long have you been screen printing and working with clothing, and how did
you become interested in it?

I just started screen printing about 5 months ago. I was a bedding designer in California for the past 4 years, until I got laid off in January. I moved back to Michigan, where I grew up, and had to find a way to make some money! I had taken a screen printing class in college, so I knew the basics. I looked at some how-to videos on Youtube, and read a few books on the subject, and just sort of fumbled my way through figuring out how to do it!

From where do you draw your inspiration?

I get inspiration from the weirdest places! Usually, I'll glance at something and think it's something else. That sounds weird. lol. For example!: the other day I was driving and I saw this billboard that had a huge key drawn on it. But the drawing was pretty bad, and I couldn't tell right away what it was, and it sort of looked like a city skyline to me. A few seconds later I realized that it was a key, but I thought that a skyline would look really cool printed on a shirt, and now that will be one of my designs coming out on a hoodie for my fall line.

What is your personal favorite of your collection and why?

I have a love/hate relationship with lacy indigo. The design that I originally thought of for that shirt looks totally different. I sort of happened upon the way it ended up looking, and I think it turned out great. That shirt is my best seller, and I think it's the most original in my line, but because of the bleaching process that I do, and the intricacy of the design, I mess up a lot of them that can't be sent out, (that's the part I hate!)

What do you do to stay positive as an independent business owner?

I LOVE working for myself! I love the fact that how much money I make is completely up to me; I take full responsibility for my income. With amazing places like etsy.com and the local craft fairs that I do, the sky is the limit. I find myself working 14-hour days, 6 and 7 days a week, and it doesn't even faze me, because I love what I'm doing! I love my job!

Lastly, is there anything else you want my readers to know?

Just that I think they'd be really happy with any of the items in my line! When I got started, I really wanted to be able to affect the way someone feels with my clothing. I love going into a dressing room at a store and trying on an outfit that looks so cute on you, and makes you feel so good, that you have to jump up and down! (Am I the only one that does that?!) Anyway, that's how I came up with my slogan ellembee- hand printed clothes that'll make you jump up and down! I love that I get to help people feel good about themselves!


1 comment:

MommaDJane said...

I LOVE that shirt, I will have to check her out.